Vocational Qualification in Tourism Industry
Vocational Qualification in Tourism Industry gives qualifications to work as a receptionist or tourism activities organizer in the tourism industry in Finland and abroad.
This field of study is available at Myyrmäki campus, Ojahaantie 5, 01600 Vantaa.
The objective of the study program is that the student will be able to work as a receptionist or tourism activities organizer in the tourism industry in Finland and abroad. As the tourism industry is looking forward to recovering, the emphasis throughout the program will be on responsible and sustainable tourism practices, creating experiences for guests, e-tourism, and safety practices.
Mode of Studies
Studies are on campus during day time generally from Monday to Friday. A personal study plan is made for all students in which their prior learning and experience will be recognized. Students show their competence in the vocational units at the work places, thus work based learning plays an important part in the studies. While at work based learning, the students adhere to the working times of the companies. The estimated duration of the studies will be between 1,5 and 2 years, but may vary individually.
Examples of Vocational Study Units, 145 competence points needed for graduation
- Customer Service in the Tourism Industry, 30 competence points
- Hotel Reception Services, 40 competence points or Provision of Tourism Services, 40 competence points
- Marketing Communications in Tourism Services, 20 competence points
- Meeting Services, 15 competence points
- Guide Services, 25 competence points
- Working in the International Working Environment, 15 competence points
- Working at the Airport, 15 competence points
The next tourism course is estimated to start in the fall of 2024, and application period will be in the spring of 2024. Detail start and application information will be published during the spring of 2024.
Admission Criteria and Student Selection
Applicants are requested to attach their most recent school and employment certificates to their application. In the case of non-native Finnish language speaker, Finnish language certificate (equivalent to level A2.2) must be added too. The certificates must be translated into Finnish or English by an official translator. The application must be accompanied by all the required annexes. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
More information about Finnish language skill tests:
- Register for a national language proficiency test (YKI)
- Common European Framework of Reference | Europass
Eligible applicants will be contacted by email or phone call to the interview on campus.
Eligibility criteria for applicants
- completion of general upper secondary education/ vocational qualification, equivalent of 12 years of education (as duration of this course is shorter than the standard tourism course, which is 3 years if attended directly from 9th grade. This means that students are expected to have studies the common units already).
- fluency in English
- basic Finnish language skills (minimum level A2.2)
- interest in pursuing a career in tourism.
The priority will be given to applicants who have the right to work in Finland.
Cost of study
Education in Vantaa Vocational College Varia is free of charge and so is a daily lunch. The students estimated expenses per student for about 2 years of studies is 400 euros for study materials, work clothes and study trips. A personal laptop is needed for the studies.
International Work Based Learning
The students have the opportunity to apply for international work based learning period.
Qualified receptionists will work in hotels and other tourist accommodation establishments. Qualified tourism activities organizers will work in companies and organizations of tourism resorts and regions, tourism service businesses, hotels, or agritourism companies.
Vocational qualification in Tourism Industry enables the graduates to apply for further studies at the university of applied sciences or at the university.