Vocational Qualification in Tourism Industry
Vocational Qualification in Tourism Industry gives qualifications to work as a receptionist or tourism activities organizer in the tourism industry in Finland and abroad.
The objective of the study program is that the student will be able to work as a receptionist or tourism activities organizer in the tourism industry in Finland and abroad. As the tourism industry is looking forward to recovering, the emphasis throughout the program will be on responsible and sustainable tourism practices, e-tourism, and safety practices.
Examples of Vocational Study Units
- Customer Service in the Tourism Industry (40 competence points)
- Hotel Reception Services (40 competence points)
- Provision of Tourism Services (40 competence points)
- Marketing Communications in Tourism Services (20 competence points)
- Guide Services (25 competence points)
Admission Criteria and Student Selection
Eligibility criteria for applicants:
- completion of general upper secondary education/ vocational qualification, equivalent of 12 years of education (as duration of this course is shorter than the standard tourism course, which is 3 years if attended directly from 9th grade. This means that students are expected to have studies the common units already).
- fluency in English
- basic Finnish language skills (minimum level A2.2)
- interest in pursuing a career in tourism.
Applicants are requested to attach their most recent school and employment certificates to their application. In the case of non-native Finnish language speaker, Finnish language certificate (equivalent to level A2.2) must be added too. The certificates must be translated into Finnish or English by an official translator. The application must be accompanied by all the required annexes. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
More information about Finnish language skill tests:
Cost of study
Education in Vantaa Vocational College Varia is free of charge and so is a daily lunch. There can be small amounts to be paid for study materials and local study trips (estimate maximum 100 euros).
Qualified receptionists will work in hotels and other tourist accommodation establishments.
Qualified tourism activities organizer will work in companies and organizations of tourism resorts and regions, tourism service businesses, hotels, or agritourism companies.
Vocational qualification in Tourism Industry enables the graduates to apply for further studies in universities of applied sciences or in universities.